Media

This is What Happens to Your Lungs if you Vape a Tide Pod (Yes, Really)

I didn’t believe it at first when health authorities were making warnings about people consuming tide pods. I saw it start as a meme on Facebook, never imagined people would actually do it.

A kid named JR made an appearance to the emergency room, both unable to breathe and unconscious (a very dangerous combination). For at least half an hour he had been in this state before his mother got him into the hospital.

He was found by his mother, laying on the floor with his lips blue. It wasn’t that difficult for her to figure out what he had done. He had ingested the chemicals in Tide Pods, and done the “Forbidden Fruit Challenge.” Apparently he had tried to vaporize them.

Apparently this was his lungs:

The boy of 17 years, renamed to protect his identity, made the unbelievably ignorant decision to play this thing that people now have the opportunity to call “a social media game.” These kids are actually giving people who try to justify their existence as authorities every day, exactly what they need.

The kid was hospitalized because of the effect trying to vaporize a tide pod had on his lungs, as reported by a YouTube channel titled Chubbyemu. Did this kid not research it at all?

Now the mainstream, or quasi-mainstream articles online are taking this authoritative stance they always take when something like this happens. Health officials are justifying their largely unnecessary existence (because for the most part, health officials do not actually prevent things like this, or even prescribe the right treatment in an era where pharmaceutical chemicals are more commonplace than vitamins and minerals).

One person named Dr. Bernard talked about a case where a boy renamed “JR” ate three entire laundry pods because of a dare.

Claims about this challenge are being made by sites such as IFL Science:

“The new trend, called the Forbidden Fruit Challenge, sees a group of people all agreeing to record themselves eating detergent pods and then uploading the footage to social media. Whoever gets the most likes on their video wins.”

Sounds unrealistic: but if the kids are really doing this, I’m ashamed.

A post shared by 5th Year (@5thyear) on

This Dr. Bernard said that JR, in his own words wanted to “experience the greatness of laundry pod flavor and become Internet famous.” So he chewed up 3 laundry pods at once.

“Immediately he felt a burning sensation waft up into his nose,” it was reported.

He then experienced a numbing sensation on his touch and lots of retching. He coughed, and some of the laundry stuff went down his throat, while some went into his airway.

He was frothing at the mouth before long, and then he experienced a burning sensation coming down his esophagus, as the liquid approached his stomach.

This is full of cringe. What did he really think would happen? That sh*t is so far beyond toxic.

So basically what is happening, is kids aren’t researching what they are trying to do. They aren’t doing any kind of research or thought before doing this, which is disturbing.

So they are used by medical professionals and health authorities, to make it seem as if people need the authorities. That’s why this continues to blow up in the media.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

facebook_00000
To Top